Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Pho mi gia phung...on a tuesday night

With all the simple yet wonderful little vietnamese restaurants that line the streets of Gerrard St east, I decided to check this unnasuming joint in East Chinatown on a quiet Tuesday evening. Despite the fact that I may have difficulty remembering how to pronouncing the name of this restaurant,  I can assure you it remains memorable. I was immediately impressed by the warm service and passion of the servers...and then very soon found out my waitress was the daughter of the owner and chef...so that may explain quite a bit.

But seriously, I am so used to going to Hanoi 3 Seasons next door to satisfy my routine pho craving.., but this resto holds a place of sanctuary. The manager Tyler is incredibly helpful and patient (who I later found out used to actually manage Hanoi next door), as is my waitress Jenn (daughter of the owner).

I decided to order the delicious house renowned "Mi do bien" which is a bowl of mixed seafood in a light aromatic broth with egg noudles. I never realized until now how much more flavour egg noodles have compared to rice noodles. What I found original is that they serve the noodles seperate from the soup.I was told this helps keep the flavour of the egg noodles intact. Very true indeed- slightly sweet and delicious. Then I realized they bathe the noodles in a light sauce made with green onions and jus a dash of oil....perfect. So then it becomes a do it yourself. You decide how much of the noodles to add into the broth.. best is to do it a little at a time to keep flavours fresh. Genius!
So there you go...a great new twist on a usually very simple dish.The rare beef pho is also devine..and a dish they are known for!
Enjoy
                                                                     Mi do bien

Pho mi gia phung
Located at 598 Gerrard (corner Broadview)
416 463 6699

No comments:

Post a Comment